Thursday, November 05, 2009

Ring-a-ding-ding

Hello blog. I know that no one would bother reading this but then a part of me says there would be someone accidentally stumbling in and I feel that I have to write something but my head aches from thinking too much when there isn't anything to think about. Even reading other blogs is an effort now. Can't hold a book long enough like I used to. Like going over every word is a painstaking task. I listen to Owl City as I write this and at least that is comforting.

My sister and I often have random conversations during times when we don't have anything else to do with our mouths other than eating and it was just recently that we talked about tears. So I asked her how come a single thing--a page of a book, a line from a song, a scene from a movie, or even just a thought or a memory could trigger emotions and make you cry. Perhaps there's these neural pathways that connects to the brain from the eyes and body fluids run through it. Or maybe, and I like to think it is, its "a way of releasing toxins" like in the book Hanna and I once read.

Fascinated, I researched it on Wiki and here's the gist:

There's basically three kinds of crying
  • to keep eyes lubricated
  • a reflex in case foreign objects gets in to the eyes
  • due to negative emotions (and sometimes positive ones as well)
Focusing on the last type, we all know that the brain is responsible for all emotions; the limbic system to be exact, specifically the hypothalamus part. And our eyes have this lacrimal gland (located just between the eyelashes and the arch of the eyebrow) and when receptors (controlled by the hypothalamus) are activated, the lacrimal gland is stimulated to produce tears.

So yeah, that basically answers it. Brain > limbic system > emotions > eyes > lacrimal gland > tears.

6 comments:

  1. So... knowing that... did it do you any good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Nakatulog na ako ng maayos nang di iniisip yun. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Focusing on the last type, we all know that the brain is responsible for all emotions; the limbic system to be exact, specifically the hypothalamus part. And our eyes have this lacrimal gland....

    You lost me here, hahahah! Kidding xDDD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! Sorry for the terms. Can't put it simplier than that. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. you should've simplified it to...

    something/someone you care about > tears.

    or to be more concise, love>Tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too much positive emotions could make you cry too. And even things you don't normally get emotional with.

    ReplyDelete