Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Pet Peeve

I hate small talks. I abhor its shallow, meaningless flow of thought (or the lack of it). You hear this around the office, do it by the water station, chance upon it in the elevator; some days it even gets abused through chat. I'm guilty of this annoying vice myself and avoid it at all cost. So when I ask something, gods be good, have some decency to answer! Its not as if I'm throwing rhetorical questions. Perhaps, some people are so used to small talks they think simple inquiries can be shrugged off without notice. But when I ask, I'm actually interested in knowing the answer. If not, there is no way I would waste energy pretending to do so. Ugh, major pet-peeve. 

There's a lot of people in the office I don't personally know. There are few I'd like to talk to though, especially when I eat by myself most of the time. At one point, I thought of how interesting a conversation would go if two unacquainted people throw nouns at each other until they get at something they share in common. Say, I run into this cute guy at the pantry and we both are about to take our lunch, "Mind if I sit with you?" he says. "Please, do" I answer. The beginning would be something like this:

Boy: Video games
Girl: TV Series
Boy: Fringe
Girl: Grey's Anatomy
Boy: Big Bang Theory
Girl: The Walking Dead
Boy: Game of Thrones
Girl: * squeals* I love the Game of Thrones!!!
Boy: I can hardly wait of the next season
Girl: Do you read the books?

And there you have it, no more going through awkward introductions and series of questions out of politeness. Plus, the conversation revolves around something both are passionate about. Haha! I haven't tried this in real life yet, unfortunately. And have no means of proving if it'll go as easy and entertaining as I imagined it in my head. 

P.S. In my defense, I'd like to point out that I eat by myself only because my friends are in different departments with different break schedules and I'd rather eat alone than with someone I'd be forced to have small talk with. Haha! Later. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment