Sunday, August 18, 2013

Of Art and Hipster Finds

I went to 98B's Future Market yesterday. It's a venue for artists to exhibit and sell their products which were mostly handmade and vintage. One of them is my good friend Paola, who started her own shop aptly named Crafty Kitty, given that she's passionate about cats and crafting. She makes accessories out of processed film canisters or zippers, stamps made of carved out erasers, hand painted shoes and canvas bags. Her spot at the market had stamp pads and craft cutting board, blades and X-Acto knife, all the tools of the trade.
I thoroughly enjoyed being there. Considering that it was a market, it felt like more like an art exhibit. There was so much interesting things to look at and even more interesting people to talk to. Perhaps it's just marketing but the sellers passionately explained their craft to me and I learned so much that day. I spotted few cute guys there also. It made me wonder what's it like dating an artist. (I just had to include that? Haha)
I purchased a vintage skater skirt and a passport holder. But I had a tough time stopping myself from buying things I don't need at the moment. Priorities, priorities, says my superego. But if I had my own place, I would've probably bought a framed painting or this clock in form of a hand which is a piece of art on its own. I felt like a kid in a candy store amidst all those creativity.

I read the following from Gerome Soriano's wall and absolutely love the last line. 
"When buying from an artist/maker, you're buying more than just an object/painting. You are buying hundreds of hours of failures and experimentation. You are buying days, weeks & months of frustration and moments of pure joy.  
You aren't just buying a thing, you're buying a piece of heart, part of a soul, a moment of someone's life. Most importantly, you're buying the artist more time to do something they are passionate about."
To my friend Paola, I can't tell you how proud I am enough. This maybe hard but it is just a start of something amazing! I just wish it didn't rain yesterday though. Escolta has such beautiful old buildings to see. Unfortunately, when it rains in some parts of this city, it kind of loses some of its beauty. Oh Manila, you fiercesome one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment