Saturday, December 26, 2015

An enduring friendship

I went to see my Benavides friends last Wednesday. It felt surreal thinking about it now after 3 days. But at that time, it felt normal--it's as if time and distance hasn't come between any of us.
Seeing Hanna for the first time since she left for Chicago after graduation was like reuniting after just a semestral break. I knew she has changed since she moved. It felt apparent as we spent more time together. The way she speaks, the way she asserts herself, even the way she writes has changed a bit. But I felt transported, back to my younger years the moment we were rejoined. I felt 19 again, or something. It felt like home. My college friends are home. 
I can feel my heart warm up just thinking about it now, sharing the same space with all of them again. I fully understand why she would burst into tears at random times throughout the night.
Mozart Group: Pauline, Rej, Jem
Family: Hanna, Glad, Marko, Me, Ruth
VACER: Raf, Sugar, Kayle, PJ, Paul
Being surrounded by your bestfriends can be overwhelming, in a good way. It's one thing to reminisce the good ol' times in your head but to relive those memories in the presence of the people you were with when you made them is another--an entirely different kind of satisfaction. 
We played games, danced to 90's music, took tons of photos, and got ourselves a little buzzed with tequila. But there's only so much we can do in one night. As the evening deepened, my thoughts were hazy and one by one, some had to leave. 
Who knows what will become of us in the next 5 years. We attempted to write our future on a paper 5 years back during a retreat, with goals and aspirations that were hardly met. So we all wrote new ones & I tried to be practical this time. One thing I know for sure is, this friendship shall remain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment